Mahashivrathri 2018 – Story, Significance, Rituals, Fasting (Foods), Scientific Reason | isha yoga Coimbatore
Mahashivrathri is a holy Hindu festival falls every lunar month (a month measured between two successive new moons) on 14th day of new moon. Shivrathri is celebrating in dark nights which mean moonless divine night. This festival is worship of Lord Shiva called the Great night of Shiva. We are celebrating twelve Shivrathri in a year but in month of February or march raised in lunar month is Mahashivrathri which is a prominent festival among Hindus, they will celebrate the whole night in Mahashivrathri to acquire the divine blessings of Lord Shiva by doing night poojas in temples.
Mahashivrathri date : 13th February on Tuesday.
2018 Mahashivrathri- story
- Mahashivrathri is the festival of the creator and destroyer of the universe, Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva is also called as “neelakanda” this name has a story which is believed as a reason of Mahashivrathri. There are many stories about Mahashivrathri.
- In north India, people celebrated this Mahashivrathri to celebrate the marriage ceremony of Lord Shiva and Parvathi. In south India, Mahashivrathri is celebrating for Lord Shiva who had saved the earth. While the war between Lord Shiva and demons (asuras). According to the advice of Lord Vishnu and devas. Devas chum the ocean to get nectar (amirtham).
- This nectar gives immortality of life to the world. While chum the ocean to get the nectar, it gives a pot of poisonous nectar. Anyone should drink the poison, and then only they can get the nectar. To save the world, Lord Shiva drank the poison; though he didn’t swallow the poison he just stopped the poison in the throat by tied the Vasuki (snake) in his neck.
- For this, the whole night his consort Parvathi and all devas, Vishnu, Brahma are didn’t sleep to take care lord Shiva. Read Mahashivrathri story in Tamil.
Significance of Mahashivrathri 2018 and reason behind Mahashivrathri
- The whole sleepless night of Shivrathri would give a divine energy to the devotees. It believes that devotees can get the prosperity and blessings of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva is consider as world which means beauty, soul, peace, happiness, prosperity, wealth, goodness while praying Lord Shiva, devotees can get these all goodness in their life.
- Mahashivrathri has the power to give moksha (come out of bad things) and young unmarried girls worship Lord Shiva and his consort to get a husband like Lord Shiva. Mahashivrathri special are yoga, mediation, isha yoga centre Mahashivrathri event.
- The reason behind Mahashivrathri is evoking the spiritual energy and gives goodness to the human body as positive energy.
Rituals of Mahashivrathri 2018
- People worship Lord Shiva in the early morning from all Shiva temples. They used to do poojas, abhisekham in the early morning before sunrise. Devotees went through poojas, yoga, and meditation in the temples and home.
- Mahashivrathri would be celebrated by conducting poojas whole night as,
- Devotees took bath in the early morning which gives purification of soul and salvation in life because it believes that early morning bath in Mahashivrathri is like bathing in holy Ganges River.
- Devotees offer naivaidhyam by fruits, whole grains, and tambul betel leaves, sweet recipes like panchamirtham, coconut, and milk to lord Shiva. It is believe that doing naivaidhyam will give happy long life.
- It is believed that lighting lamp to Lord Shiva will remove bad things around us.
- Milk, curd, panchamirtham, honey, ghee poured on the Shiva lingam which is believed to give all prosperous in life and Lord Shiva will do devotees favours.
Mahashivrathri 2018 vratham or Shivrathri upavasam procedure (fasting)
- In Mahashivrathri, devotees will bath in hot water with sesame seeds but nowadays they bath in hot water in early morning.
- They won’t eat rice, wheat; pulses for the whole day till the Mahashivrathri poojas get over. Devotees can eat fruits, drink milk only.
- While finishing the fasting they would have rotis made by water chestnut, halwa made by bottle guard, panchamirtham made by all fruits with honey, ghee.
Mahashivrathri 2018 in isha yoga Coimbatore
- Isha means – lord, isha yoga centre is a sacred place of Lord Shiva which is started in 1992 by the Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. He is an Indian yogi; he will conduct yoga programs around the world. This isha foundation used for the salvation of human life and give divine to everyone who attends the yoga program and Mahashivrathri.
- The highlight of Isha yoga center is the Adiyogi Shiva statue which is 37 meters tall and 500 tonnes of weight. This Adiyogi Shiva statue is declared as the world’s largest bust by the Guinness Book of World Records. Adiyogi statue was opened on 24th February 2017. Isha foundation already got Guinness world record on October 17, 2006, for plating 8.52 lakh saplings.
- Isha foundation Coimbatore address : 15, Govindasamy Naidu Layout, Singanallur Coimbatore – 641 005, INDIA. Telephone: 91-422-2515345 Email : email@example.com
- Mahashivrathri in isha yoga centre gives fulfilment, peacefulness, healthy life. By doing mantras and meditations in a whole night of Mahashivrathri in isha yoga centre makes devotees closer to the divine.
- Do Mahashivrathri sadhanas https://youtu.be/FCGGZaPeEAE whole night without sleep which upsurge energy to your life.
- Upcoming Isha yoga centre Coimbatore program is Ayur Rasayana- Arrive by : 12 pm on 16th February 2018. Program ends: 8 pm on 18th February 2018. Many people used to go isha yoga centre in Coimbatore through bus or car. Book here for best car rental service : http://www.prompttravels.com/hire-bus-coach-rental-services-in-chennai/
Do Mahashivrathri 2018 sadhanas in the home
- You can get the energy from cosmos in the home by doing Mahashivrathri sadhanas if you are not able to attend Mahashivrathri in isha yoga centre.
- Take a peaceful room in your home. Lighting lamp in front of Lord Shiva picture and do the Mahashivrathri sadhanas get a fulfilled feel and wellbeing life. 11:10 pm to 11:30 pm –Sukha Kriya(breathing procedure); 11:30 to 11:50 pm – AUM chanting; 11:50 pm – 12:10 am – Chanting of the Mahamantra, “Om Namah Shivaya.”.Enchant devotional songs or Lord Shiva mantra as Om Namah Shivaya.
- Participate in Mahashivrathri 2018 in isha yoga centre Coimbatore on 13th February, 6 P.M to 6 A.M to get the divine.
Register here : http://isha.sadhguru.org/mahashivratri/live-webstream/
Scientific reason for Mahashivrathri 2018
The scientific reason behind the Mahashivrathri nightlong festival is the planetary position in the galaxy in northern hemisphere and our body energy system, our body has the capability to induce positive energy in the whole night if we do meditation which will help more to upsurge the positive energy. Negative thoughts and all would remove give positive ablution to the body.
Foods should on Mahashivrathri 2018
Mahashivrathri 2018, prasadham is keer, milk, halwa, panchamirtham are the prominent foods offer to Lord Shiva. Foods in Mahashivrathri are,
Mahashivrathri important food panchamirtham preparation
- Devotees will prepare sweet potato cakes, and many sweet recipes to provide lord Shiva but the prominent sweet is the panchamirtham. The story of Mahashivrathri is also relating to getting amirtham for the immortal life of world. Panchamirtham purifies the body.
- Chopped fruits added with milk, curd, ghee, and honey with sugar make the delicious recipe too, it will be provided to Lord Shiva in Mahashivrathri. Then distribute to the family members as prasadham.
Shivrathri Raita preparation
- Take some pure curd in a bowl mix it with salt, sugar, cumin powder in it, then toast vegetable which you want and add the vegetables to the curd mix. Serve to Lord Shiva then serve to family members.
Saboodana Kheer preparation
- Cook sago (javu arise) in condensed milk for few minutes before this soak sago in water for 2 hours. Heat the ghee and fry raisins and cashew nuts till they turn golden brown. Add the dry fruits to the sago-milk mixture.
- Sprinkle the elaichi powder, mix well then serve to Lord Shiva then serve families.
Mahashivrathri gifts and greetings
Mahashivrathri best gifts are sculpture, paintings, Greetings of Mahashivrathri, Gifts of Mahashivrathri and statues of Lord Shiva alone or Lord Shiva with Parvathi. Mahashivrathri bhajans book, mantras book.
Shiva Aarti or mantra for Mahashivrathri 2018
Shiva mantra enchanting during Shivrathri pooja like,
Vande Shambum Umapathim Sura Gurum Vande Jagatkaranam,
Vande Pannaga Bhooshanam Mrugadharam, Vande Pasoonaam Pathim,
Vande Surya Sasanka Vahni Nayanam, Vande Mukunda Priyam,
Vande Bhaktha Janasrayam Cha Varadam, Vande Shivam Sankaram.
Mahashivrathri significance for human – May lord Shiva give us a divine, beauty, happiest life ahead and make to realize the self-potency our self.
**This article taken from own knowledge and variant sources