Guru Purnima (குரு பூர்ணிமா) 2018- History, Customs, Celebrations | Guru Purnima Festival in Saibaba Temples Chennai
Guru Purnima is being celebrated on full moon day of (Ashadha month) July or August month. This celebration is mainly for the gratitude of teachers or gurus- both spiritual ones and academic ones because guru teaches us the knowledge, education. Guru Purnima is also known as Vyasa Purnima and this day is commemorated as birth anniversary of Veda Vyasa who was the author of the Hindu epic Mahabharata.
Guru Purnima is also celebrated by Buddhists in the honour of Gautama Buddha to commemorate the day when Buddha gave his first sermon at Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Guru Purnima date 2018 – July 27, 2018, Friday
2018 Guru Purnima History/Story:
According to Hindu legend, Maharishi Vedha vysaa is one of the primary reasons to celebrate this guru Purnima. The theme of celebrating guru Purnima is to express the gratitude and respect to the guru or teachers.
2018 Guru Purnima Customs And Celebration:
- Worship your guru by offering them fruits, clothes, sweets, aarti and pay your gratitude to them on this day.
- Guru Purnima is often celebrated by devotees presenting gifts to their spiritual teachers. These gifts can be in the form of sweets, flowers or it can be anything. During this time, devotees also spend a considerable amount of time chanting and praying.
- Early morning, around 4 am, devotees, meditate on their gurus and offer their prayers. After that, a ritual worshiping of the guru’s feet is done by the devotees.
- Then devotees choose to fast on this day. It is often custom thing in temples to offer sweet curds prepared with dried fruits called charanamrita to devotees.
- Some of the devotees who choose to spend the day fasting will often break their fast after their evening worship.
- Guru Purnima has the importance of Vishnu puja attached to it. ‘Vishnu Sahatranam’ also known as the thousand names of Lord Vishnu should be recited on this day.
- Devotees recite this slogan also during the prayer of Lord Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma. This day guru purnima is a dispeller of darkness in our life.
Guru Brahma guru Vishnu guru dhevo maheshwara
Guru Sakshath Parabrahma tasmai shri guruve namaha
Guru Purnima Festivals In Saibaba Temple In Chennai:
Guru Purnima is the famous festival in all Saibaba temples, especially in Shirdi Saibaba temple. Plan your trip to go ahead with Saibaba blessings on Guru Purnima festival.
Contact us for inbound and outstation cabs service and tour plan with us. Enquire here
Famous Saibaba temple In Chennai To Visit:
Ambattur Sai Baba temple:
Om Sri Saieswara baktha samajam,
No 5, Kamalapuram colony,
Ambattur, Chennai – 600 053,
Landmark: Near Rakki Theatre.
Chengalpet Sai Baba temple:
Shri Shirdi sai baba mandir,
Akshaya nagar, Lake Avenue,
First Street, T.K.M. Road,
Vallam, Chengalpet – 2.
Chitlapakkam Sai baba temple (Chrompet):
Sri sai baba temple,
No 83, First main road, M.C. Nagar,
Chitlapakkam, Chennai – 600 064,
Tamil nadu, Phone: 044 22232361.
Guduvanchery Sai Baba temple:
Someshwara Sai mandir,
Plot no 92, Pillaiyar koil st,
Guduvanchery 603 302,
Landmark: Behind EB office
Injambakkam Sai baba temple:
Shri Shirdi Sai Baba Spiritual & Charitable Trust
Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600 041,
Tel : 044 65684808.
Mylapore Sai baba temple:
All India Sai Samaj (Regd.)
Mylapore, Chennai – 600 004,
Tamil Nadu, India,
Ph No. 044 – 24640784.
**This article taken from own knowledge and variant sources